The Crime Writers’ Association has unveiled the longlist for this year’s Dagger in the Library prize, recognising an author not for a single book but for their complete body of work. Nominations came from votes cast by readers online, this year through the award’s sponsor, Penguin Random House crime imprint/community Dead Good.
The Richard & Judy Book Club is set to continue into its fifteenth year, with its namesakes having signed a contract that will keep it going through 2019.
The Royal Society of Literature has revealed the shortlist for this year’s Ondaatje Prize, awarded to writers of fiction, non-fiction or poetry resident in the Commonwealth or Republic of Ireland, whose work evokes ‘the spirit of a place’.
Wednesday night saw the launch of BookMachine’s Shapshots II, the second compilation of some of the best blogs from the BookMachine archive. This time round, the collection focuses on consumer relationships, marketing and new publishing models.
The Edgar awards – presented by the Mystery Writers of America in recognition of achievement in crime writing – has revealed its 2015 winners, with some big (and perhaps surprising) names amongst the awards.
Multi-platform publisher and app developer YUDU has teamed with Pearson ELT (English Language Teaching) to launch a free app accompanying Pearson’s Poptropica English® range of learning resources. The app can be downloaded now from the App Store for iOS, with the Android version coming next week. It contains six books available for in-app purchase.
The Orwell Prize, presented annually to political books and journalism that come closest to realising George Orwell’s ambition ‘to make political writing into an art’, has revealed its 2015 shortlists.
The Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society has published the results of its report into the money made by professional authors, and none of it will likely come as a surprise to the vast majority of writers forced to subsidise their work through a variety of endurable-to-menial day jobs. Based on research carried out by Queen Mary University of London, The Business of Being an Author: A Survey of Authors’ Earnings and Contracts finds that 58% of all the money earned by professional authors is earned by the top 10% of those authors, resulting in a massive inequality of wealth between that 10% and the remaining 90%.
BACK OF THE NET – Orion has acquired a second book by Alan Partridge, the former BBC chat show host, sometime sports correspondent, current North Norfolk Digital DJ and wholly fictional comic creation of Steve Coogan named ‘man of the moment’ by TV Quick Magazine in 1994. The as yet untitled book will be, according to The Bookseller, ‘a collection of diary entries, letters, “think pieces” and programme and business ideas.’ PARTRIDGE THINK PIECES. If we’re lucky there might even be some hot takes. As was the case with Partridge’s earlier memoir – I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan – the book will be, uh, co-written with Coogan, Rob Gibbons and Neil Gibbons. It is scheduled for publication in October 2016.
Revered punk-poet-musician Patti Smith released her first volume of memoir, Just Kids, in 2010. Focusing on her relationship with photographer Robert Mapplethorpe as the pair traversed the art world of 1970s New York City, the book was warmly received even outside of Smith’s expected fanbase, winning the National Book Award for non-fiction and placing on many best of 2010 lists. Now, Smith has announced a second volume, M Train, to be published in October of this year by Knopf.