Host an event
We host events for publishing professionals. You can now host your own BookMachine publishing event!
- bring publishing professionals together
- launch a new book/idea/company
- make extra revenue
… you can do all this via BookMachine.
What’s the catch? Ah, just 3 rules:
- Guests cannot be charged for entry
- The majority of the evening is for mingling (talks limited to 1 hour)
- The application form below needs to be approved
The case study
Bright Red Publishing hosted a BookMachine event in December 2011. Guests were treated to bubbly and mince pies and the atmosphere was buzzing with people sharing stories and making new contacts. Alan Grierson, co-founder of Bright Red, hosted the event, so we thought we’d ask him some questions:
1) Why did you decide to host a BookMachine party?
We had attended the BookMachine event at the Edinburgh Book Festival which was a terrific success. It attracted a lot of folk that don’t always come to more formal events. Edinburgh is probably the third biggest publishing centre in the UK so was an ideal forum to get like minded people together for a few drinks and a chat. 2012 had been a bit of a rollercoaster for the publishing industry and we wanted to end the year on a positive note.
2) What did you get out of it?
Most of all, we had a good night and enjoyed ourselves. We met some really interesting new people and raised the profile of Bright Red. Furthermore, we got to work with the very talented and friendly folk at BookMachine and can say we
knew them before they got really famous!
3) Would you do it again? Was it easy to set up?
Really straightforward to organise and yes we would definitely do it again.
4) Any advice for others who are thinking of holding an event?
Make sure there is a least one free drink and some nibbles are always a good idea. Also, remember to be the host and welcome and talk to everyone who comes along.
The small print
- There is no charge to host your own BookMachine event.
- BookMachine parties are only held in fun, relaxed environments for publishing folks to connect.
- BookMachine will own 25% of any profits made from a BookMachine publishing party.
- Co-brand the event to take advantage of the BookMachine brand, alongside your own.
- Party organizers will write the ‘press release’ for the event two weeks beforehand, which will be posted on the BookMachine site.
- BookMachine will interview the event organizers one week beforehand, for extra promotion and to let readers know more about the company.
- BookMachine/the event organizers will share responsibility for promoting the event via social media channels/email/print publications. BookMachine will promote the event extensively in order to help the event organizers.
- The event organizers will be responsible for any cost involved with producing promotional materials.
- The event organizers will be responsible for choosing the location and ensuring minimum spends are met. (generally there is no minimum spend and bars are happy to host the parties free of charge)
- Party invites are to be set up in Eventbrite with guests being added to the BookMachine distribution list after the event. BookMachine can design the invite if required.
- Please complete the application form below at least 4 weeks before the event date.
Get in touch…