Music Sales Group is one of the World’s leading music publishers, owning and managing over 200,000 popular and classical music copyrights. The Group is also Europe’s largest printed music publisher and distributes sheet music, books, instruments and accessories from the UK, Europe, US, Australia and Far East. The UK Group both owns and operates a number of retail outlets along with offering a market leading online business – musicroom.com.
The Group is privately owned by one family over several generations. The UK Head Office is situated in London, in the West End, where the Group Board resides and where the Editorial and Creative teams are located. The support functions (Purchasing, Sales, IT, Copyright accounting & Finance) together with a substantial worldwide distribution centre are located in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
The Editorial & Sales Assistant supports the Managing Editor and Sales Manager in the provision of general editorial and sales support for Omnibus Press, so must have good writing and general editorial skills. The recruitment process will include proof reading and writing tests.
1. Supporting with editorial work
2. Sales duties
3. Editorial & Sales support
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Straightforward proofing and editing
- Collating page proofs, checking online printers’ proofs and liaising with the parties involved
- Editorial work for Overlook Press editions
- New project research where required
- Sending out routine rejection letters
- Liaising with freelancers where necessary
- Processing client and author purchase orders
- Responding to publication enquiries (specifically product availability, price, discount, format and publication date)
- Liaising with external agents (home and export) on sales opportunities ? Sourcing new leads and acquiring and updating our client information details
- Collating data for sales presentations and AI sheets and assisting with sales reports
- Organising meetings with clients and authors alike
- Listing and amending Omnibus Press publication information on Nielsen Book Editor and other online platforms
- Creating the annual Omnibus Press catalogue
Editorial and sales support
- Fixing book fair appointments and other meetings (e.g. sales conferences, filming days)
- Dealing with general enquiries
- Ensuring Overlook Press are supplied with up-to-date information
- Maintaining the Omnibus Press schedules under supervision
- Collating information for a contracts database
- Helping out at publicity events, Book Fairs
- Ensuring information for translation rights sales is up-to-date
- Collating editorial and sales materials for presentations, pitches, trade fairs etc
- Routine author liaison to ensure we have up-to-date biographies, author photos, etc
- Sending out complimentary copies and reviews and ordering up sample copies; ensuring we have a reference set of our own titles
- Departmental filing
- Providing holiday and sickness cover for the Editorial and Sales Managers
SKILLS & BEHAVIOURAL REQUIREMENTS:
Minimum of a year’s experience within publishing, media or book trade is desired
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ambitious self-starter
- A confident, outgoing team player who also has the ability and drive to work under minimal supervision
- A keen interest in music and film
- Confident and outgoing individual with adaptable people skills
Core working hours are 0930 to 1730 Monday to Friday, however you will need to be flexible and able to work additional hours as required ensuring deadlines are met.
Willing to travel to the Suffolk office and sales exhibitions from time to time, as required.
This is a role with huge variety and we require someone who is willing to do everything from making tea for guests to aiding us run sales campaigns and meeting with authors and packagers.
The role will offer great experience in almost every aspect of publishing.
Please send your CV and a covering letter, explaining why you think you would be suitable for the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the closing date of Monday 5th September.