Where & When
Tuesday 25th February
10:00 – 13:00
6 Penrose Way, Greenwich Peninsula, London SE10 0EW
Currently less than 8% of the world’s books ever make it into accessible formats. Making our books, ebooks and other content accessible is crucial, both from an ethical standpoint and as a legal requirement. This presentation is aimed at digital publishing professionals wanting to improve their publishing practices using EPUB in 2020.
The training plan
- Adding accessibility within InDesign
- Extra Recommend tools (Sigil, Brackets, GreenLight)
- Epub:types, ARIA Roles & semantics
- Image descriptions and alt text
- Structure, TOCs, Page Lists, Landmarks and supplemental lists
- Language declarations and shifts
- Adding Schema.org Metadata
- Checking accessibility with ACE
- Modern ebook reading software for accessible EPUB content
- Stop Press! Also to include a look at the brand new format recommended by W3C for Audiobooks.
The course is led by Ken Jones. Ken sits on the BookMachine Editorial Board. He is a publishing software expert with over ten years’ experience as Technical Production Manager, software trainer and developer at Penguin Group UK. He is the mastermind behind Circular Software, which offers workflow advice, software tools and training to improve how publishers produce their illustrated print and digital books.