Do you want to be an ebook expert? Do you want to thoroughly understand the market; plus have the practical skills to code your own ebooks? Join industry expert Ken Jones for this two-part one-day course.
About the Course
In the morning session Ken will present an overview of the ebook market today, giving you insights into which formats work on which devices; and making sure you are up-to-speed on the latest debates around DRM. The afternoon session will be a hands-on course for coding ebooks.
Morning Session – Demystifying ebooks
- What exactly is an ebook?
- Ebook formats – EPUB2 vs EPUB3 vs MOBI vs KF8 vs EPIB vs iBA vs ePDF
- Comparisons of Book apps, eBooks and online products
- Fixed layout vs reflowable and which is right in which situation
- Fixed layout EPUB3 zooming vs KF8 zooming and the limitations of KF8
- The limitations of devices and how this impacts eBooks
- Adding interactivity and enhancements
- Read-aloud media overlays vs text to speech
- Accessibility in ebooks
- The pros and cons of DRM
- Who are the IDPF, the W3C and how are they linked
- What Readium is and what can it be used for
- The future of ebooks, beyond EPUB and beyond ebook devices
Afternoon Session – Coding for ebooks
- Creating ebooks from InDesign and other publishing applications
- Explanation of HTML, CSS and XML the foundation languages of ebooks.
- Unpacking and repacking EPUBs successfully
- Understanding the structure of an EPUB
- Finding and changing content in a reflowable EPUB
- Adding new content to a reflowable EPUB
- Opening and amending a fixed layout EPUB
- Validating an EPUB and understanding validation errors and warnings
- Converting an EPUB to a MOBI for Amazon
- Where to go for more practice and information