Understanding eBooks: Presentation & Workshop
28 May, 2019 @ 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
10am – 5pm, 28th May 2019 | Digital Greenwich, London
About the course
Do you want to be an ebook expert? Do you want to thoroughly understand the market? Plus have the practical skills to code your own books? Join industry expert Ken Jones for this two-part one-day course.
In the morning session Ken will present an overview of the ebook market today, giving you insights into which formats work on which devices; and making sure you are up-to-speed on the latest debates around DRM. The afternoon session will be a hands-on course for coding ebooks.
The course is led by Ken Jones. Ken sits on the BookMachine Editorial Board. He is a publishing software expert with over ten years’ experience as Technical Production Manager, software trainer and developer at Penguin Group UK. He is the mastermind behind Circular Software, which offers workflow advice, software tools and training to improve how publishers produce their illustrated print and digital books.
Morning session – Demystifying ebooks
- What exactly is an ebook?
- Ebook formats – EPUB2 vs EPUB3 vs MOBI vs KF8 vs EPIB vs iBA vs ePDF
- Comparisons of Book apps, eBooks and online products
- Fixed layout vs reflowable and which is right in which situation
- Fixed layout EPUB3 zooming vs KF8 zooming and the limitations of KF8
- The limitations of devices and how this impacts eBooks
- Adding interactivity and enhancements
- Read-aloud media overlays vs text to speech
- Accessibility in ebooks
- The pros and cons of DRM
- Who are the IDPF, the W3C and how are they linked
- What Readium is and what can it be used for
- The future of ebooks, beyond EPUB and beyond ebook devicesNavigating InDesign
- Saving, editing, sharing and making new documents
- Managing fonts
- Working with templates and using a house style guide
- Professional use of character and paragraph styles
- Legally using free and commercial image libraries
- Image resolution and formats
- Placing images, cropping, scaling and wrapping text around images
- Bringing in text from Word
- Text Frame options and flowing text through multi page documents
- Creating and applying Master Pages
- Exporting for print and digital
Afternoon Session – Coding for ebooks
- Creating ebooks from InDesign and other publishing applications
- Explanation of HTML, CSS and XML the foundation languages of ebooks.
- Unpacking and repacking EPUBs successfully
- Understanding the structure of an EPUB
- Finding and changing content in a reflowable EPUB
- Adding new content to a reflowable EPUB
- Opening and amending a fixed layout EPUB
- Validating an EPUB and understanding validation errors and warnings
- Converting an EPUB to a MOBI for Amazon
- Where to go for more practical advice and information
BookMachine Members: £225+VAT (£210+VAT if booked before the end of March)
Non-Members: £295+VAT (£275+VAT if booked before the end of March)
What else do you need to know?
BRING: Ahead of the course you will receive a package of exercises to download onto your laptop. These exercises will be used throughout the day, so please bring your own device (PC or Mac).
The training room is at the BookMachine offices next to The O2 on Greenwich Peninsula, just 4 stops from London Bridge on the Jubilee Line (North Greenwich Station).
There will be a maximum of 8 people taking the course, and lunch will be provided at Greenwich Kitchen – a local modern British Bistro.
Date: 28th May 2019
Time: 10am – 5pm