October 23 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm BST
Publishing software expert Ken Jones has years of experience gained training hundreds of creative, production and marketing staff at the UK's largest and smallest book publishers. He has agreed to put together and run these hands-on 'Understanding…' training days exclusively for BookMachine and you need no previous experience to join in.
About the Course
Do you want to be an ebook expert? Do you want to thoroughly understand the market; plus have the practical skills to code your own ebooks? Join industry expert Ken Jones for this two-part, one-day course. In the morning session Ken will present an overview of the ebook market today, giving you insights into which formats work on which devices; and making sure you are up-to-speed on the latest debates around DRM. The afternoon session will be a hands-on course for coding ebooks.
If you are joining in the afternoon you will receive a package of exercises to download onto your laptop. These exercises will be used on the day, so please bring your own device.
check out the schedule
Morning Session (10am-1pm)
- What exactly is an ebook?
- Ebook formats - EPUB2 vs EPUB3 vs MOBI vs KF8 vs EPIB vs iBA vs ePDF
- Comparisons of book apps, eBooks and online products
- Fixed layout vs reflowable and which is right in which situation
- Fixed layout EPUB3 zooming vs KF8 zooming and the limitations of KF8
- The limitations of devices and how this impacts eBooks
- Adding interactivity and enhancements
- Read-aloud media overlays vs text to speech
- Accessibility in ebooks
- The pros and cons of DRM
- Who are the IDPF, the W3C and how are they linked?
- An introduction to Readium and what can it be used for
- The future of ebooks, beyond EPUB and beyond ebook devices
Afternoon session 2pm-5pm
Coding for ebooks
- Explanation of HTML, CSS and XML the foundation languages of ebooks.
- Unpacking an EPUB
- Understanding the structure of an EPUB
- Finding and changing content in a reflowable EPUB
- Adding new content to a reflowable EPUB
- Opening and amending a fixed layout EPUB
- Repacking an EPUB successfully
- Validating an EPUB and understanding validation errors and warnings
- Converting an EPUB to a MOBI for Amazon
- Where to go for more practice and information