May 11 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm BST
Adobe InDesign is the industry standard page layout application for the publishing industry. The vast majority of illustrated and typeset books and magazines are produced with this brilliant tool.
Publishing software expert Ken Jones has years of experience gained training hundreds of creative, production and marketing staff at the UK's largest and smallest book publishers. He has agreed to put together and run these 'Understanding…' presentations exclusively for BookMachine and you need no previous experience to join in.
About the Course
The presentation is split into two sessions - join us in the morning to get comfortable with InDesign - opening existing documents, moving around confidently and making images and text changes professionally. The afternoon session then gives an understanding document structure, shows you the best way to build and start laying out new documents and how to create and apply styles effectively.
Using lots of examples from top UK publishers this presentation is packed with tips and techniques. We encourage you to ask questions, take notes and bring your own laptop along if you wish.
Stay for both sessions to get the most out of the day, meet other industry professionals and have some lunch (included if you stay all day).
check out the schedule
Morning session 10am-1pm
- Opening InDesign documents
- Navigating the document confidently
- Panels and workspaces
- Layering and stacking
- Creating and altering frames
- Selecting, arranging and grouping objects
- Working with colours
- Adding and adjusting image content
- Handling image links
- Placing text from Word
- Different text importing techniques
- Selecting and editing text
- Applying Character and Paragraph styles
- Handling fonts
- Exporting for the screen - PDF, JPEG and PNG.
Afternoon session 2pm-5pm
- Making new documents professionally
- Working with Master Pages
- Using rulers, grids and guides
- Stroke and fill options
- Align panel, smart guides and smart spacing
- Moving content between layers
- The Effects panel
- Creating text and object styles
- Threading text frames
- Working with longer passages of text
- Understanding fitting options
- Adding and moving pages
- Sections and auto-numbering
- PreFlighting and packaging
- Exporting for production - PDF and EPUB