- This event has passed.
4 May, 2017 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm BST
Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard tool for anyone working with digital images in the publishing industry. The vast majority of images used in illustrated publishing and book covers are produced with this brilliant tool.
Publishing software expert Ken Jones has years of experience gained training hundreds of creative, production and marketing staff at the UK’s largest and smallest book publishers. He has agreed to put together and run these ‘Understanding…’ presentations exclusively for BookMachine and you need no previous experience to join in.
About the Course
The presentation is split into two sessions – join us in the morning to get comfortable with Photoshop – opening existing images, cropping, extending, layering and to starting to make adjustments before exporting to the correct size and image format. The afternoon session then gives you an understanding of the professional methods used to build complex images, to adjust and blend images together and to add text effects.
This is a thorough presentation of techniques and we recommend you take notes! You can bring your own laptop. Stay for both sessions to get the most out of the day, meet other industry professionals and have some lunch (included if you stay all day).
check out the schedule
Morning session 10am-1pm
- Opening Photoshop documents
- Managing workspaces
- Cropping and rotating artwork
- Understanding image resolution, dimensions and file size
- Lasso and marquee tools
- Quick Selection and Magic Wand tools
- Modifying and saving selections
- Working with layers
- Layer opacity and blends
- Solid colour and gradient fill layers
- Creating and reusing layer effects
- Grouping, linking and merging layers
- Adjustment layers
- Smart Objects
- Removing imperfections and unwanted details
- The Clone Stamp and Healing Brush tools
- Content Aware Retouching
- Pros and Cons of various file formats
- Exporting for the web – GIF, JPEG and PNG.
Afternoon session 2pm-5pm
- Improving tonal range
- Using curves to adjusting colour balance
- Editing Hue and Saturation
- Introduction to masking
- Working with Layer masks
- Working with Vector masks
- Clipping Masks
- Multiple masking
- Cutting out hair and complex areas
- Introduction to filters
- Using filters with masks
- Using Adjustment Layers with Masks
- Sharing styles and settings
- Working with the text
- Image and text effects
- Character and paragraph formatting
- Applying text effects
- Exporting for production – PSD and TIFF vs. JPEG