Editor [JOB POSTING]
Legend Business is an imprint within the Legend Times Group focussed on business and inspirational non-fiction titles and the University of Buckingham Press, recently acquired by Legend Times, publishes a range of trade and academic titles plus a collection of academic journals.
This role will be focussed on developing and implementing the editorial strategy for both lists as well as managing new titles from commissioning through to production. This is an opportunity to work in a varied, dynamic and interesting role and would be a great fit for someone who enjoys identifying opportunities, building relationships with authors and overseeing the full publishing process.
- Planning overall editorial strategy for both lists in conjunction with senior management, including both number of new titles to be published and the strategic direction of the lists.
- Identifying key topics of interest and sourcing the authors to write on those topics. Includes costing of projects to ensure meeting of schedule and budget requirements.
- Handling submissions for both lists and commissioning new titles from the submissions, either directly from writers of via agents.
- Help promote the direction of the brand through appropriate channels to maximise the level of quality submissions and proposals received for publication.
- Negotiating and agreeing deals for new titles with authors directly or via agents in line with agreed acquisition budgets and targets.
- Setting out an editorial timetable with each new author and liaising with relevant departments to ensure books are correctly listed, announced and promotional and sales created for them by the appropriate persons.
- Helping to ensure that all books are produced to the highest possible standard both for editorial and design.
- Working closely with authors through the editorial process and be available to support them as required through production and once their book is launched.
- Managing or completing tasks relating to own titles including: writing AI copy, cover copy and briefs, structural, line and copy editing and proofreading etc.
- Providing input into production to support creation of cover art and other key production decisions.
- Highlighting backlist – in particular reprint and new edition – opportunities.
- Presenting list and editorial direction of lists at sales reps conferences as requested by the sales team.
- Take part in regular reviews of sales performance with the overall team to inform the future editorial direction of the lists.
- Support general office administration as required in a small closely-working team.
- Being able to work to and achieve pre-agreed work targets and to present and provide updates to the Legend Times Board as requested.
- Minimum 2 years publishing or applicable experience, preferably within business or STM sectors.
- Experience with InDesign, Adobe and other key programmes for editorial and general tasks.
- Previous experience with technical publications and electronic publishing processes is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of the relevant market and the strategy of potential competitors.
- Vital to have strong editorial ability, both in creativity and also in attention to detail, as well as strong commercial skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills in particular working with and enthusing authors and making them feel valued and key to the process.
- Excellent time-management and ability to handle a diverse workload.
- Experience and strong skills in developing and implementing an ambitious but achievable strategy.
- Good at working to targets in a fast-moving business environment with a strong appetite for learning and personal development.
- A passion for new challenges and becoming a key part of an ambitious and quickly growing group of companies.
Place of work: 107-111 Fleet Street, London EC4A 2AB. Your standard working hours will be 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. You will need to be flexible and work longer hours as required.
To apply: send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com The deadline for applications is 1st July 2019.