Production editor, Academic [JOB POSTING]
Newgen Publishing is a fast-growing publishing services company based in Gloucestershire. Part of the Newgen KnowledgeWorks group we provide UK-based editorial and project management services to academic and education publishers, managing everything from concept to product delivery.
This is a permanent full-time position, based in our attractive Stroud offices. It would suit a recent graduate or a candidate with some previous publishing experience who is looking to take the next step in their career.
Newgen is an open-minded employer and flexible working options will be considered.
* Manage a challenging list of Academic book production projects, controlling production from manuscript to supply of final files
* Supporting members of the team with editorial and project management tasks.
Specifically this requires the Production editor to
* Liaise with the authors, customers and suppliers
* Manage the schedule and budget for each title, working to scale prices and strict deadlines
* Commission and supply work to freelance copy-editors, indexers and proofreaders
* Monitor supplier performance and provide feedback
* Collate corrections from authors and proofreaders, process queries and check revised proofs
* Supply final files on time
* Help maintain up-to-date and accurate workflow documentation and identify opportunities for workflow improvement
* Attend regular production meetings
* Ability to manage multiple projects or assignments and work to demanding schedules. [essential]
* Meticulous attention to detail. [essential]
* Experience in academic book production. [desirable]
* An appreciation of the commercial demands on publishers and publishing services suppliers. [desirable]
* An understanding of the basics of XML. [desirable]
The closing date for applications is 14th October. Please apply via the Website link by clicking here.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking internships. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org<http://www.booktradeentrysupport.org/>