RSL announces 2015 Ondaatje Prize shortlist

The Royal Society of Literature has revealed the shortlist for this year’s Ondaatje Prize, awarded to writers of fiction, non-fiction or poetry resident in the Commonwealth or Republic of Ireland, whose work evokes ‘the spirit of a place’.

Continue Reading No Comments


Snapshots II – The Launch

Wednesday night saw the launch of BookMachine’s Shapshots II, the second compilation of some of the best blogs from the BookMachine archive. This time round, the collection focuses on consumer relationships, marketing and new publishing models.  

Continue Reading No Comments

Stephen King, Gillian Flynn, James Ellroy win Edgar awards

The Edgar awards – presented by the Mystery Writers of America in recognition of achievement in crime writing – has revealed its 2015 winners, with some big  (and perhaps surprising) names amongst the awards.

Continue Reading No Comments

YUDU and Pearson ELT launch free Poptropica English® app

Multi-platform publisher and app developer YUDU has teamed with Pearson ELT (English Language Teaching) to launch a free app accompanying Pearson’s Poptropica English® range of learning resources. The app can be downloaded now from the App Store for iOS, with the Android version coming next week. It contains six books available for in-app purchase.

Continue Reading No Comments

Orwell Prize reveals 2015 shortlists

The Orwell Prize, presented annually to political books and journalism that come closest to realising George Orwell’s ambition ‘to make political writing into an art’, has revealed its 2015 shortlists.

Continue Reading 1 Comment

ALCS report finds massive disparity in authors’ earnings

The Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society has published the results of its report into the money made by professional authors, and none of it will likely come as a surprise to the vast majority of writers forced to subsidise their work through a variety of endurable-to-menial day jobs. Based on research carried out by Queen Mary University of London, The Business of Being an Author: A Survey of Authors’ Earnings and Contracts finds that 58% of all the money earned by professional authors is earned by the top 10% of those authors, resulting in a massive inequality of wealth between that 10% and the remaining 90%.

Continue Reading No Comments

Orion acquires new Alan Partridge book

BACK OF THE NET – Orion has acquired a second book by Alan Partridge, the former BBC chat show host, sometime sports correspondent, current North Norfolk Digital DJ and wholly fictional comic creation of Steve Coogan named ‘man of the moment’ by TV Quick Magazine in 1994. The as yet untitled book will be, according to The Bookseller, ‘a collection of diary entries, letters, “think pieces” and programme and business ideas.’ PARTRIDGE THINK PIECES. If we’re lucky there might even be some hot takes. As was the case with Partridge’s earlier memoir – I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan – the book will be, uh, co-written with Coogan, Rob Gibbons and Neil Gibbons. It is scheduled for publication in October 2016.

Continue Reading No Comments

Second volume of Patti Smith memoir coming this year

Revered punk-poet-musician Patti Smith released her first volume of memoir, Just Kids, in 2010. Focusing on her relationship with photographer Robert Mapplethorpe as the pair traversed the art world of 1970s New York City, the book was warmly received even outside of Smith’s expected fanbase, winning the National Book Award for non-fiction and placing on many best of 2010 lists. Now, Smith has announced a second volume, M Train, to be published in October of this year by Knopf.

Continue Reading No Comments

Cargo publishing Social Bite Cookbook

Social Bite is, as the name suggests, a social enterprise: a chain of cafes selling soups and sandwiches, whose profits are given entirely to charitable causes. With two outlets apiece in Glasgow and Edinburgh, the business currently invests in Shelter Scotland, the Vision Eye Care Hospital in Bangladesh, the MicroLoan Foundation in Malawi and Zambia, and the STV Appeal. One in four of its staff are from homeless backgrounds and customers can ‘suspend’ coffee and food – pay for a meal that can later be given to a homeless person.

Continue Reading No Comments

London Book Fair opens poetry competition

Next week’s London Book Fair is, for the first time, incorporating poetry, with its Poetry Pavilion space giving publishers of poetry a place to exhibit. To mark the occasion, the Fair and Inpress have joined forces to bestow the inaugural Poetry Pavilion Prize. The prize is open to anyone either attending the event, connected in any way with exhibitors or otherwise working in the international book trade.

Continue Reading No Comments

Get BookMachine in your inbox