This is a really exciting opportunity for an organised and meticulous Production Editor to join emc design, one of the top UK design agencies dedicated to the publishing industry.
The Production Editor role is crucial in supporting the agency with non-design tasks such as: proof-checking, carrying out corrections, text-formatting, photo research, artwork commissioning and project management within the production of educational material. A fundamental part of this role is to ensure the quality of work leaving the studio meets our exacting standards, deadlines and budgets.
Key duties of the role include:
- checking work carried out by designers for accuracy – both editorial corrections and, with experience, maintaining the integrity of the design elements in production;
- carrying out editorial corrections as marked on proofs and other non-design changes;
checking your own work for accuracy;
- text formatting – importing text into an InDesign template/document, formatting text into the correct styles using style sheets, tables, feature boxes, GREP etc (on the job training will be given);
- text formatting – laying out text and images in Word, formatting text and making corrections
managing costs and schedules to ensure products are published on time, on budget, and to our quality standards;
- managing projects we have responsibility for packaging, including liaising with external suppliers and contractors;
- communicating closely with colleagues during the production process to ensure all information is accurate and available;
- when required, to assist the art buyers with carrying out the research of pictures for use in published material using internet based sources;
- when required, to assist the art buyers with commissioning illustrators for use in published material including checking editorial briefs and liaising with illustrators regarding keeping schedules, meeting briefs accurately and quality control of work supplied.
This role would suit someone who has had experience working in a similar capacity in-house at a Publishers or at an external agency. The work is fast-paced and requires someone who has a meticulous eye for detail when applied to working under pressure.
Salary £19,500.00 – £25,500.00
The salary range for this role is intentionally wide; this enables people with a range of experiences to apply as well as providing room for progression within the role.
This is a full-time (37.5 hours, 5 days a week) role based at our studio in Oakley.
If you are not at Production Editor level but this type of role still interests you then please still apply as we may consider you for an Assistant level role to train and grow in. Applications close Monday 29th January at 5pm. A full job description, person spec and details on how to apply can be found on our website here.